Are you looking for something to get out and do during the summertime? Would you like to plan a staycation in the area or figure out some nice day trips to take with the whole family? There are a lot of exciting places to visit and things to do in summer in the Valley, if you just know where to look! Here are some ideas beyond the usual movie theater visits:
- Ice Skating – If you’re looking for something to help beat the summer heat, why not go to an indoor ice rink and do some skating? There are several indoor rinks in the Valley, but Scottsdale is home to Ice Den, which is a very popular choice.
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve – This is a great place to take an early morning or evening walk and keep your eyes peeled for local plant and animal life, too. Bring the whole family for an outing that’s as educational as it is fun. Remember to bring your sunscreen and water!
- Cerreta Candy Company – Take a tour and see how candy is made at this production facility. You might even get a free sample or find something you can’t live without in the gift shop afterward.
- Drive-In Movie – There aren’t a lot of drive-in movie theaters left these days, but the Glendale 9 boasts about being one of them. Take in a move from the comfort of your car for a trip back in time.
- Challenger Space Center – Check out this technology center and learn all about space and how we interact with it from here on Earth. There are plenty of exhibits to check out as well hands-on experiences for kids and adults both.
- New River Trail – Take an early morning hike on the New River Trail or bring your bike and enjoy over 10 miles of paved trail equipped with water stations.
- Kayaking and Paddle Boarding – With Go Paddle AZ, located in Peoria, you can take a day-long adventure on the water and experience kayaking, canoeing, and Paddle Boarding alone or with a group of friends.
- Children’s Museum – If you have little ones, you can’t miss a chance to go to the Children’s Museum of Phoenix. This is a fun hands-on experience that’s sure to keep your little one happy and entertained all day long.
- Arizona Science Center – Learn all about science and discover things you didn’t even know about when you visit the Arizona Science Center in Phoenix. This is a great activity that’s sure to please the whole family.
- Phoenix Zoo – No list of sightseeing in the Valley would be complete without mentioning the Phoenix Zoo. From June through August, the zoo opens at 7am (6am for members). Take it in for a morning visit to learn more about the animals that live there and then let your kids cool off at the Leapin’ Lagoon, the zoo’s splash pad.